In a perfect world, the best hair day you ever have would be your wedding day…
…ughhh except it’s not a perfect world.
And sometimes, when it comes to planning your wedding look- your hair isn’t as long, or as luscious as you want it to be. This is why a lot of brides turn to extensions to create that picture-perfect, wedding day look.
Extensions are a great way to have the best hair of your life look on your big day.
Every bride should feel amazing on her wedding day. And once you have found the perfect dress, it’s all about putting together the rest of your look.
So, if your dream is to have longer, shinier, fuller hair – then hair extensions might be the answer you are looking for.
But first, let’s talk about the 3 things you should know about getting extensions for your wedding…
Here we go!
1. Picking the best extensions for you
The last thing anyone with hair extensions wants is for it to be obvious that they are wearing them
The type of extensions you choose should be high-quality, and look like your own natural hair…this is going to help you get that total mermaid-haired goddess look.
A few tips for picking out the best extensions for you:
- You want high-quality, natural human hair. Stay clear of synthetic hair.
- When choosing the length of your extensions, measure from the middle of your ear downwards with a tape measure to get an idea of how many inches you want.
- Choose the color that is the closest to your hair color as possible (it doesn’t have to be a perfect match to blend).
- When in doubt, choose a shade lighter rather than darker. Hair at the ends is lighter naturally.
Quality extensions can be a bit of an investment, but they are going to last longer and look natural.
2. Clip-ins are a good option
When it comes to the world of extensions, clip-ins are like your girl next door- approachable and dependable.
They don’t require as much maintenance or a salon visit to put them in.
They are still going to give you that gorgeous wedding day hair, but with the option to take them out the next day.
So, if you want to get the volume and length, without all the maintenance of more permanent extensions, then clip-ins are for you!
Tape-ins are another option for hair extensions. They are strips of hair that have a section of tape on the top end, that are “taped into” your own hair. Once the tape glue is set (about 3 days of no washing or wetting your hair) they should last up to 3 months.
Tape-ins are popular because they are known for being less damaging to your hair, but of course this depends on who installs them. Any type of extension can potentially cause stress on the hair -which is why you want a qualified professional to help you.
Tape-ins are going to be more expensive and require a lot more upkeep. Unlike clip-ins, which only take a few minutes to put in, tape-ins are going to take closer to a couple hours.
It’s also better to have a professional put them in for you, while clip-ins are easy to adjust when you are putting them in, you are probably fine to do them on your own as long as you have a way to get a good look at the back of your head.
So, if you’re all in with your extensions and ready to commit, then tape-ins could be a good option.
3. Get a trial run with your stylist
There are many reasons you are going to want to have your hair professionally styled on your wedding day… even without extensions.
- You can’t see the back of your head
- Even if you are great at doing your own hair, a stylist is going to know how to get your hair to stay all day.
- Your stylist is trained to tame, and perfect, even the most unruly hair. So even if you are having a bad hair day-it’s not going to matter.
- You’re going to be getting photos taken from EVERY angle and your stylist can make sure that your hair looks good from every angle.
That being said…
If you do decide to get extensions for your wedding, schedule a test run before your big day to test out the look you want. And again (see reasons above) use a professional stylist on your wedding day.